Dear Reproductive Rights Advocate,
Thank you so much for attending our conversation with local Jewish clergy on the issue of reproductive rights in light of the recent Supreme Court ruling overturning Roe v. Wade.
So much of the discussion on the issue of abortion in our nation uses a framework that is not ours. We hope our overview of the Jewish approach to abortion and our discussion on reframing the narrative, will help you as you clarify your own beliefs on abortion and give you some new language that will be helpful for navigating discussions about reproductive rights going forward.
Here are some follow up resources to help you learn more and take action:
A recording of our conversation can be found HERE.
- July 14, 2022 at 10:30am PT | NCJW Event – The Torah of Abortion Justice. Register Here
- July 14, 2022 at 5pm PT | Moving Traditions – Talking With Teens: Reproductive Rights & Sexual Health. Register Here
- July 17, 2022 at 8 am-3:30pm PT | Abortion Access Front Event – Operation Save Abortion (this is a training event that will give you concrete ways to get involved as a reproductive health advocate). Register Here
- July 18, 2022 at 10am PT | Join Jewish Federations for a conversation on Jewish law perspectives and the impact of the Supreme Court’s decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Healthcare, featuring accomplished speakers from the National Women’s Law Center, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the National Council of Jewish Women, and Hadassah. Learn about state law developments and their potential impacts for women’s health and health providers, as well as ways to be active in your communities on these issues. Register Here
Jewish Learning & Action Resources
- Identity Crisis Podcast: How Jews Talk About Abortion
- National Council of Jewish Women: Take Action on Abortion Access
- Rabbi Berkenwald’s Sermon – Abortion, It’s Personal
Places to Donate:
- Jewish Fund for Abortion Access (partnership with National Abortion Federation (NAF) and NCJW) – Donate
- National Network of Abortion Funds – Donate
- Repro Legal Helpline (Pro-bono legal support serving all states) – Donate
- Planned Parenthood Mar Monte Chapter Fight Back- Donate
- Access Reproductive Justice (CA organization, based in Oakland) – Donate
Recent Executive Orders and Legislation:
- President Biden’s Executive Order Protecting Access to Reproductive Health Care Services
- Governor Newsom’s Executive Order Protecting Access to Reproductive Health Care Services
- NARAL Pro-Choice California’s 2022 Legislative Priorities
Thank you again for attending and please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions.
Rabbi Hugh Seid-Valencia
Rabbi Zoe McCoon
Rabbi Faith Joy Dantowitz
Cantor Devorah Felder-Levy